Do I Need Approval?

Before you undertake any development or building works, you will need to determine what approvals you require.

A Development Application (DA) is usually required for most development in the local area, but it is not always necessary. You might be able to undertake the development as:

  • exempt development, which does not need approval
  • complying development, which must meet all relevant standards in the State Environmental Planning Policy (Exempt and Complying Codes) 2008 (State Policy). This type of approval combines the functions of a DA and Construction Certificate (CC). It is a simpler and quicker approval process than submitting a DA. However, complying development cannot be undertaken on all land.

The State Policy sets out the standards that each type of development must meet to be exempt. If your development proposal cannot satisfy one or more of these standards, you will need a DAComplying Development Application or Local Government Act approval.

Use the NSW Planning Portal from 1 July 2021

From 1 July 2021, applications such as development applications and post-consent certificates must be lodged via the NSW Government’s Planning Portal. From 1 July 2021 the NSW Planning Portal is the only way you can lodge these applications.

NSW Planning Portal: frequently asked questions

Find answers to all of your questions about lodging certain planning applications online through the NSW Planning Portal:

Exempt development

You can do some minor building works in NSW without needing approval. Exempt development is low impact development that can be done for certain residential, commercial and industrial developments.

The State Environmental Planning Policy (Exempt and Complying Development Codes) 2008 sets out the standards that each type of development must meet to be exempt. It also includes the general requirements that apply to all exempt development (Part 1 of the State Policy). If your development meets these criteria, you can proceed without approval from Council. We recommend that you keep a copy of the State Policy for your records.

Schedule 2 of the Upper Lachlan Shire Local Environmental Plan 2010 also sets out exempt development that can be done without approval.

For development types that do not need approval, refer to ‘exempt development’ on the NSW Planning Portal or in the State Policy.

Complying development

Complying development is a form of planning and building approval issued by Council or a registered certifier. The approval is issued in the form of a Complying Development Certificate (CDC).

This certificate combines approval for use of the land and the building construction works. In other words, it combines the functions of a DA and CC. It is a simpler and quicker approval process than submitting a DA.

Council or a private registered certifier can issue a CDC.
You must obtain a CDC before you start any demolition, excavation or building work or other development.

More information

We can help you

If you would like further information please contact Council’s Environment and Planning Department on:

  • T: 02 4830 1000
  • E:
  • visit our Crookwell Environment and Planning Office Monday to Friday between 10am and 2pm.

Need Further Information? - Please Contact Us

Whether you need to speak with someone from the Council, or you’re after some more info that you couldn’t find on the website, there’s always a way to get in touch.

Visit Contact Us Page