Request a Copy of Building Plans

Council is required to keep a record of all building approvals issued. This includes building licences and permits, plans and supporting documentation.

Under the Government Information (Public Access) Act 2009, you can request a copy of building plans if you are the owner of the property.

Information required before applying

When you lodge an Application for Copy of Building Plans, we need to know the:

  • applicant’s name: the person asking for the building plans
  • property address
  • lot and DP details of the property
  • purpose of your request.

If you are the owner of the property, you will need to provide:

  • photo identification or a copy of your rates notice.

If you are not the owner of the property, you will need to provide the:

  • owner’s written and signed consent, which you must attach to your application, and
  • owner’s photo identification or a copy of the owner’s rates notice.

If the owner of the property is a company, you will need to provide:

  • proof of directorship.

If the property is a Strata Title, you will need to provide:

  • the signature/seal of the Secretary of the body corporate or managing agent.

Note:  If you do not have owner’s consent, you are still able to receive a copy of plans, however the floor plans will be redacted.

Copyright consent

All copies of plans and associated documents held by Council are protected by copyright under the provisions of the Copyright Act 1968. For example, if an architect drafted your building plans he/she retains copyright ownership of those plans, and you will need that architect’s consent to obtain a copy. You will need to provide Council with a signed letter of consent from the copyright owner.

If your request for a copy of plans does not relate to an application under the Environmental Planning and Assessment Act 1979, Council requires written consent from the copyright holder or proof that the copyright holder cannot be identified or contacted to grant consent.

How to apply

You can apply for a copy of the building plans by completing the Application for Copy of Building Plans and Credit Card Form, and paying the relevant fee:

Application and Credit Card Form

The application and your supporting documents can be submitted:

  • by email:  
  • in person: at Council’s Environment and Planning Department between 10am – 2pm
  • by post: PO Box 42, GUNNING NSW 2581

What happens next

Once we receive your application, we carry out a search of our records, however Council cannot guarantee the building plans you request are available on the property file.

Please allow up to 10 working days for your application to be processed.

We will notify you if the plans are held under copyright and we require written consent from the copyright holder.

More information

If you need more information about the application process, please contact Council’s Environment and Planning Department on:

  • T: 02 48 301 000
  • E:
  • visit our Crookwell Environment and Planning Office Monday to Friday between 10am and 2pm.

Need Further Information? - Please Contact Us

Whether you need to speak with someone from the Council, or you’re after some more info that you couldn’t find on the website, there’s always a way to get in touch.

Visit Contact Us Page